2010/06/19

Romantic night with fireflies

When I was a child, my grand mother used to take me to Kotagawa (小田川) where fireflies are often found in Nirasaki city. Today, I went to Hotaru Matsuri (Fireflies festival) after a long separation.

The festival became bigger than that in 10 years ago because people seldom watch fireflies in other places compared to the past. We could watch small green lights in darkness, which made us feel romantic. Protectors of fireflies told me that fireflies would die in three days after glowing. How short and their lives are! Their lives are just express Japanese culture (In France, fireflies don't glow and fly.) Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures of their faint glow. I thought that their glows send us their sadness.
After we enjoyed romantic feeling, we tried to make 'Hotaru-kago (ほたるかご-a cage for fireflies). Local uncle illustrated how to make it. International students from France and Uzbekistan made it together. Not our nationalities but characters showed up the performance.
The festival brought me back old memories, and told my friends traditional Japanese culture.

6 件のコメント:

L.Jav さんのコメント...

Sounds like you had an eventful time.

Steve Henneberry さんのコメント...

I had never heard of those Hotaru-kago before. They look really interesting, but where is the door?

Miho さんのコメント...

To L.Jav
it was fun! do you have such kind of event in your hometown?

Miho さんのコメント...

To Mr.Henneberry
the door is on the bottom. we get fireflies in the cage and cover the cage with a leaf.
do you know whether you can see fireflies in shimane?

Steve Henneberry さんのコメント...

Miho,
Yes, we can see the fireflies here. I went out with my family and some friends just over a week ago to see them. It was a nice excuse to get together with friends, and the kids enjoyed chasing the fireflies...

L.Jav さんのコメント...

We have no events like that here. It is sad.