2008/02/20

The first cocktail party

At UTS orientation, we got a ticket of cocktail party. As participants were set to wear smart casual clothes, I asked my host mother how clothes are smart casual and bought a tunic blouse for the party. Anyway, I was puzzled to go cocktail party. (While some people wore casual clothes...) But I can get a chance to talk with students for the first time at UTS. I really wanted to take part in the party.

In front of an entrance, many national flags were decorated. When we entered the hall, the party had already started. It was a kind of buffet party. At first, Chinese boy spoke to me. And then, his friend, a friend of his friend, a friend of the friend of his friend...We could meet each other expanding a circle of friendship drinking cocktail. How fun taking is! I noticed that I was excited to communicate with them in English! Such a situation was just what I wanted to experience here. As some seniors said to us, Asian people tend to get together with Asian people. Mostly, I talked with Chinese and Korean students.
After the party, we went to a bar. I drunk Aussie beer for the first time. I don't have a good palate for beer. It felt it was a little stronger than Japanese one. It was too noisy to speak there. However, then, I could learn new Aussie culture!

2 件のコメント:

Emily さんのコメント...

Hi Miho

i have a same experience as you.
we Asian make friends with Asian somewht easily because we have partly same culture und them pronuciation is similar to ours.

any way it was soooo Gooood that you had a opportunity and have got a great beginning of friendship :D

Miho さんのコメント...

To emily
I can understand what you mean. Asian English is similar with Japanese English.
I haven't made many friends yet. I try to speak to native students more and more!